and why they manage to tangle themselves into knots while being fed
Let us reference the following meme:
First, we have an image of three full food bowls.
Then, we have an image of a gordion knot of cats[^1] eating from those bowls.
In my experience, cat feeding time works something like this:
- You pour food into one bowl
- All of the cats start eating from that bowl
- You pour food into the second bowl
- At least one cat abandons the first bowl to attack the second, but they take the most direct path rather than backing up and making a straight shot
- You pour food into the third bowl
- The cat pathfinding algorithm breaks further
- You wind up with the gordion knot of cats